Monday, August 10, 2009

The Gran Fondo Charly Gaul

An early start, and thanks to a phone call from Australia at 4am it was even earlier. Suffice to say I rose, switched my phone to silent, then back to bed.

After packing all my things, I went downstairs expecting breakfast at 7am, mainly because the concierge had mentioned they would have it specially then for us racers. When I learned it was not on, the 24 bottles of fruit juice suddenly became very useful. Well let us day 18 after a decent effort.

I put my bike together and did a quick check of all the things I had. Riding out of the carpark my brakes were squealing loudly and I knew that this would not do in a Gran Fondo. So I went back to the car and did my best to clean the rims and brake pads with a rag. I was a bit flustered, which is not a great way to start, however it does get the adrenaline pumping and a light sweat - which is what you want.

When I arrived at the duomo, I realised I should have been checking what I had rather than being worried about my rims. I had two spare tubes, however no pump! Now I was really flustered, however calmed myself by looking at the two possible scenaios - ie: I get a flat, or I do not. Worry about the former if and when it happens, if the latter, then no need to worry.

Now for those who do not know, a Gran Fondo is kind of like the City2Surf on bikes. I do mean the City2Surf as well, as there may not be 60,000 people, however there are often 8,000 people. Add the bikes and it can be a recipie for disaster, or more specifically - crashes.

This was no regular race. Not like the Tour de France or any of the races I have been involved with, where there is a neutral roll out and then you hit it a few kms out of town. These boys (and girls) go from the gun. 40-45km/h straight away. Oops, there is a cafe table area in the middle or the road, a right hand turn, traffic islands, etc. We would go from 40+to 0 due to these things and the effect on braking in traffic I mentioned yesterday.

I really had to back it off as we were 10km in and I thought there is a long way to go to be maintaining this speed. Also two mammoth hills, or should I say mountains, however more of that later.

I had my Sydney jersey on and I heard a voice say "are you Australian". Scott became my ride buddy and thank Christ he had a pump! I was updated on cricket scores, and not just once - text messages from Scott's old man through the ride. Super stuff!

Now the hills, I mean mountains. Well there was one, that we climbed from two different ways. The first was about 15km and 1,300 metres elevation gain. The second was about 20km and 1,300m elevation gain. We thought the second was 10km, and as it was at the finish, the extra 10km uphill was quite deflating. There were a few rest stops along the way and Scott and I stopped at each one.

Once over the line (only a couple of hours behind the winner) we went to the customary pasta party and then bumped into Gilberto Simoni. Gilberto was happy to pose for photos with us and seemed happy to know we were Australians and had come to what is now really his event. The only problem was the old bloke taking the photo did not know how to press the button, so the moment will have to live in our memories.

Overall, a great experience, however at the time it was extremely difficult.

Afterwards, a short four hour drive from Trento to Bormio.

No comments:

Post a Comment