Sunday, July 19, 2009

Prologue: Sydney - London - eight hour layover - Geneva - Chamonix

Arrived at Mascot wondering how heavy my bike box was, thinking it could be a couple of kilos over the 23kg limit. It weighed in at 34! No problem, just transferred 11kg to my reserve bag and checked it in. The check in woman was under the impression that I would be charged 90 pound for the extra baggage, until I showed her a print out from the British Airways sporting baggage web page.

On the plane and I managed to score myself a move to a double seat for the Sydney -> Bangkok leg. Watched Sunshine Cleaning (crap) and Anchor Man (awesome). I was given a few of those small bottles of red and I thought they would be just the thing to stick in the rear pockets of my cycling jersey and chug down at the top of some famous hill. Not to be though, as the liquid police at Bangkok confiscated it.

Back on the plane and no spare seats. Not to worry though, as the couple next to me were pretty cool. Seeing as the flight was getting in to London at 6am, this was the leg to have a kip on, however not straight away. Watched Gladiator and it made me realise that my assumption about the Colloseum in Rome was correct - well almost correct. I had always thought that it would be just like the MCG - nicely grassed and we could kick the Sherrin around. It was quite a shock to see all the tunnels. Anyway, the movie showed I was not far off the mark. Also the great line; relevant to my journey - strength and honour!

Into London and went for a wander around Portobello Market in Notting Hill. It was great to I caught up with Dymphna, Kim and Steve for brunch in Notting Hill. Great to catch up and I was very appreciativee of them giving up part of their weekend to come and meet me.

Back out to Heathrow Terminal 5 and it was interesting to see that they only confirm the gate number an hour (or less) before the flight. I was fortunate enough to get moved to a window seat and we flew directly over Paris, which was quite a sight.

Into Geneva and by gees, by gingos and by crikeys there were a few bike bags, boxes, etc coming off the special baggage carousel. My box was struggling and is unlikely to make the trip back. FYI - if you have a bike that you love, then do not put it in a box!

Into the Fiat and away down the highway. It was amazing to see all the names of the places we were planning to ride and that I had seen on maps on the street signs. Then something truly awesome - a regular traffic message sign referring to road closures for the Tour de France. Just like something you would see in Sydney for a special event, however something even more special.

We arrived at Chamonix and instead of sitting down, we unpacked our bikes and went for a ride for a couple of hours. Probably the best thing in hindsight, seeing as I had been sitting on planes, in departure lounges, on trains, etc for a day and a half - although it did not seem so at the time!

The Big Unit and MJ whipped up a pasta for dinner then I crashed out on the couch. It would have been about 1130pm, so 930am on Sunday in Australia. I had a couple of hours sleep on Friday night, so that is the best part of two days with only a little sleep on the plane. The best part of two days anyway from bed to bed, which is how I count my days when travelling. I woke at 2am and proceeded to set up a folding bed. I will pick the story up there tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment